A popular crowd pleaser, this dish is considered a ‘fast food’ in Thailand because of how simple it is to make. The fragrance of our homegrown thai basil accentuates the flavours of this recipe, truly a food for the soul.
- 125 g minced chicken meat
- 1 handful of thai basil leaves (add more if you love the flavour punch!)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 thai red chillies (add more if you like it spicy)
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- Jasmine rice for serving
- To prep, pound the chillies and garlic in a pestle and mortar until you get a rough paste.
- First, to fry the egg “thai style”, heat up about 1cm of oil in a wok and crack the egg in gently and let it fry until the edge is brown and crispy. Remove egg and set aside.
- Next, heat up 3 tbs of oil in the wok again over high heat and saute garlic and chilli paste for a few second.
- Add in minced chicken and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and stir until chicken is cooked through. (If a little dry, please add in some water)
- Turn off the heat and add in the handful of thai basil and stir for a few seconds.
- Ready to serve with rice